Monday, August 31, 2015

Fast and Furious in First Grade!

I can't believe it is already the second week of school!!! It is amazing how fast time flies when you are having fun.

It was a very busy first week and unfortunately I didn't get to take as many pictures as I would have liked, but I'll share the ones I have and what we are learning (mostly math related for now... ELA to come).

The first week of school was filled with LOTS of routine practice. We learned our Whole Brain Teaching classroom rules and we practiced teaching our partners. We also talked about what it means to have P.A.W Pride and how we can show Pride in the hallways, during class, in the cafeteria and on the playground.

The real fun got started in math when we discussed tally marks and how to take a survey. Below are pictures of the Firsties asking their survey question and recording data in their math notebooks.


Later in the week we used a t-chart to make a picture graph.


I am also working on transitioning into Guided Math. I'll have more updates on that in the next few weeks, but for now I have a picture of my students working in the Content station, practicing creating bar graphs from picture graphs. 

This week we also had a few celebrations! Each child in the school gets to pick a House color (sort of like Harry Potter and the houses of Hogwarts). We did a grade level drawing and each child found out what house they will be earning points for this year! There were many happy faces!!! 

And as the week concluded, my husband took me and some friends to the Ranger game to celebrate a great week! The Rangers won and we saw an awesome firework show!

No comments:

Post a Comment